Contact Us

Use the form on the right to contact us.

You can edit the text in this area, and change where the contact form on the right submits to, by entering edit mode using the modes on the bottom right. 

(207) 650-4349

CasualStaff1935.jpg

OUR HISTORY

Colonial Theatre Ushers, 1935
Left to Right: Victor Goodchild, Henry Boucher, George Elmore Small (Doorman & Chief of Staff), Fran Munro, Roland Dennett, Leon Small, Rolando Poulin


         Photo Credit: Kennebec Historical Society.

         Photo Credit:  Private Collection

         Photo Credit: Kennebec Historical Society.

            The Colonial Theatre represents an important piece of Augusta history - that of the early film (silent and sound) industry in this country. The Theater was opened in downtown Augusta in 1913 to plans by the Maine architect Harry S. Coombs. The building exhibits the lingering influence of Beaux Arts design, coupled with Georgian Revival details and a retrained, geometric patterning that anticipated the Art Deco style. The building suffered extensive damage in 1926 fire, and the rebuilt theater, completed shortly thereafter, was larger than the earlier. It featured silent films with live music until sound pictures were introduced in the late 1929.

            In 1918, Edgar Jones Production, Inc. opened a motion picture studio in Augusta, and in 1919, Mary Astor and Evelyn Brent made movies here. Maine writer and film producer Holman Day made a number of films in the Augusta area and premiered them at the Colonial. Dorothy Lamour made an appearance here during WW II, for a bond drive.

            In its heyday, the Colonial was a primary site for entertainment for residents before the age of automobiles, videotapes and cable TV. The Colonial was one of two theaters in Augusta; its competitor, the Capitol Theatre, was at the other end of Water Street. The Capitol was demolished in 1983 after a major fire, the third in the building’s history.

            The building was purchased by a private individual in 1970 and used as storage for many years. Leaking roof drains and eventually a hole in the roof allowed water and birds into the Theatre, causing significant damage. In 1995, Colonial Theatre, Inc., was founded and acquired the property in 1997. Since then, several individuals and developers have expressed interest in rehabilitating the theater; in each case, however, the project never got off the ground.

            Faced with the necessity to decide the building's future, Colonial Theater, Inc., pursued its own plan. (Fall 2009) First, the theater confirmed its eligibility for nomination to the National Register of Historic Places. This affirms the significance of preserving the theater as well as providing for a certain level of protection and financial opportunities. Next, a collaborative partnership was formed with several key organizations: Maine Preservation, Maine Downtown Center, Augusta Historic Preservation Commission, Maine Historic Preservation Commission and others. Recently, an engineer was hired to assess the structural condition of the building. It has been determined it's generally sound, but in need of repairs to ensure its continued preservation and reuse potential. In 2011, the Colonial Theater was listed on Maine Preservation's list of Most Endangered Historic Resources.

Photo Credit: Daily Kennebec Journal, May 1929

Photo Credit: Daily Kennebec Journal, May 1929